Duke University Press announces participation in SERU

Apologies for cross-postings.

For immediate release
August 23, 2007

For more information, contact
Kimberly Steinle, Library Relations Manager
libraryrelations@dukeupress.edu
http://www.dukeupress.edu/library

Duke University Press announces participation in SERU

Duke University Press is pleased to announce its participation in the
Shared Electronic Resource Understanding (SERU) project. Sponsored by
the National Information Standards Organization (NISO), SERU offers an
innovative alternative to the increasingly costly and cumbersome
practice of customer-by-customer site license negotiations between a
library and a publisher. Libraries wishing to acquire access to Duke
University Press participating journals can forgo a traditional site
license agreement, relying instead on the shared expectations set forth
in the SERU statements of shared understanding.

"As a university press, we trust our institutional customers implicitly, making it a natural decision to participate in SERU's streamlined solution to difficult and costly traditional site license negotiations," states Library Relations Manager Kimberly Steinle. "It is our hope that our participation in SERU will help to alleviate some of the burden on stretched library staff and budgets, while also allowing us to continue to offer affordable pricing for our content."

Most Duke University Press journal titles - excluding the Duke Mathematical Journal and two electronic collections, the e-Duke Scholarly Collection and DMJ 100 - will now be available to libraries for use with SERU. This includes thirty-one journals currently hosted by HighWire Press, as well as the Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, hosted by Project Euclid.

For more information about the origins of SERU and how to participate, or to download "SERU: A Shared Electronic Resource Understanding," which sets forth SERU's framework of shared understanding, defines appropriate and inappropriate usage, and sets archival and perpetual access standards, please visit http://www.niso.org/committees/SERU. For more information on Duke University Press's participation in SERU, please visit the Library Resource Center at http://www.dukeupress.edu/library.

--
Kimberly Steinle
Library Relations Manager