RE: Homer Simpson at the NIH

Joe

If we take open access out of the picture for the moment, your
view of larger players taking an increasing proportion of a
non-expanding market is a frightening one for the smaller,
society publishers.  It matches with the view that I have taken
of the 'big squeeze' for the smaller players and suggests that if
nothing changes in the market then the diversity of publishers
(including not-for-profits and university presses) that we all
want to see maintained is at risk.

Now let's reintroduce the idea of open access.  Unfortunately,
through what we might call a prism of misunderstanding, open
access has been seen as a great threat to the smaller publishers.
My suggestion is that handled well it could actually provide a
survival mechanism for them.  Society publishers and university
presses have a number of great advantages that could help them
thrive in a publication-charge open access journal environment -
they often have high-quality journals with excellent author
services and they have close connections with their communities
(a bonus when searching for referees).

I can't imagine that to date any society publisher has lost its
independence due to open access.  Some have lost their
independence due to an inability to compete in the big deal
environment.  As you suggest, the subscription market is not
going to get any easier for the small publishers.  That's why it
makes sense to take a good look at open access.

David