Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

For a scientist, Stevan, you sometimes make some astonishingly broad generalizations. E.g., in response to Rick Anderson you wrote:

At 4:18 PM -0400 8/15/07, Stevan Harnad wrote:
(b) Every single one of those articles (without exception, and in stark contrast to the rest of the digital domain) is written, and always has been written, purely for the sake of research usage and impact, not for royalty income.

(d) All these authors want only three things: (1) to have their papers peer-reviewed by an established peer-review authority (with a track-record for quality and rigor) and (2) to have those peer-reviewed papers (certified as such, by the name of the journal that implemented the peer review) accessible online to every potential user on the planet, with absolutely nothing blocking their (online) access -- least of all whether the would-be user's institution happens to be able to afford to pay for subscription access to the journal in which it happened to be published.
Well, I can tell you of some authors whose articles we have published in our scholarly journals who have profited handsomely (in the thousands of dollars) from frequent reproduction of their articles in commercial anthologies and university course packs. (In one case recently we received a payment of $14,000 from CCC for a large amount of copying done from an edited volume in a number of universities overseas.) They have all cashed the checks we sent them, so presumably they did "want" the money even though they weren't motivated originally to write by the pursuit of profit.

Below you say I'm confused about fair use in your "Fair Use Button" because I really don't like the implication it might have for books. Well, as I've just said in response to Peter's posting, I have no problem with an author supplying a colleague with a single copy of an article for research and teaching purposes, so we have no disagreement there in principle. (See my questions about responding to requests resulting in multiple-copy distributions, however.) But you are simply wrong that book authors are not interested in giving away their book content for free. In university press publishing many authors are paid no royalties, and some are even asked to supply subsidies, and these authors would have no compunction about giving away their books for free. They could readily fall under your three points about what scholarly authors really "want." Even some high-profile authors like Larry Lessig and Yochai Benkler have persuaded their publishers to allow them to post their books online for free. So, as a generalization, that is much too broad.

So, too, is your flat assertion that "books are not peer reviewed." I guess you're not aware that to be a member of the Association of American University Presses a university-based publisher MUST have a process of peer review in place, and every book published by an AAUP-member press is peer reviewed. That's about 8,000 per year! Add to that the many thousands more published by academic commercial publishers, which may not be required to conduct peer review but generally do. So, peer review is NOT a differentiating factor between scholarly journals articles and scholarly books.

Finally, your reply to Rick that copyright has been applied 95% to protecting against against illegal making of multiple copies is a number I think you have just pulled out of the air. There are many, many cases of alleged infringement that do NOT involve simple duplication or redistribution (the "reproduction right" is only one of six listed in Section 106), such as all those involving charges of plagiarism, creation of derivative works, parodies, public performances and display, etc. Authors do care about these other uses, I daresay, and there are no other laws than copyright to protect them against such misuses. So, however much you'd like to see it go away, copyright retains important functions in the digital age. Even some authors of scholarly journal articles might be exercised by, say, the kind of parody that Alan Sokal famously performed in mimicking postmodernist writing, and in some situations copyright law might protect a scientist like Sokal who performed a parody of a piece of writing by another scholar!

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press