From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu on behalf of Amy Schuler
Sent: Thu 8/16/2007 2:54 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: site license negotiation

Hello,

I have before me a site license from Publisher X for electronic
full text access to selected scientific journals.  I am
attempting to negotiate into the license an "out clause" where
the license reads: "the licensor reserves the right to
withdraw...content that it no longer retains the right to license
or...is unlawful, harmful, false or infringing."  Here I would
like to add:  "If the removal of content has a significant impact
on the value of service to the Subscriber, Subscriber will have
the right to terminate this agreement by providing 30 (thirty)
days written notice to the Licensor.  No cancellation penalties
will apply."  In the existing license, there is an option for
substituting or refunding for withdrawn subscribed titles. Also,
the existing license specifies the beginning date of the complete
subscribed collection.

I am not getting anywhere with the publisher on the inclusion of
the "out clause."  I have spoken only with the sales associate,
and she has only pointed out other related sections of the
license (the ones mentioned above).  Still, I am concerned -
rightly so, in my experience - about the removal of content.

Any tips?  Should I try to make contact with someone else in the
publisher hierarchy?  Unfortunately I am negotiating on my own -
not within the helpful framework of a consortium.  The publishers
are frustrating; unwilling to throw us the littlest bone that
would not affect their profit but would certainly make a
difference for us libraries and, more importantly, the missions
we uphold.

Thank you!

Amy C. Schuler
Manager of Information Services