RE: NIH Public Access Policy: is the funding for full OA already there?

Heather which part of which ALPSP study are you quoting here?

Look at it another way: if, as seems likely, widespread
self-archiving drives subscription journals out of business then
the quality assurance, production editing, reference linking etc,
etc for all 65,000 NIH articles will have to be paid for somehow
and most of that would have to come from author-side payments
(the concept that a large proportion could come from, for
example, advertising is frankly laughable).

That leaves an NIH pot of less than $500 per paper.
Pay-to-publish charges in quality bio-medical science journals
are mostly at the $2500 - $3000 range (PLoS Biology is currently
$2750 remember and they are not even covering their costs from
this).  That's a short fall of at least $2000 per paper or $130
million dollars per year for all of them.

That's $130 million dollars that could have been spent on
research; or that will need to come out of the taxpayers pocket;
or that will need to disappear from library budgets and be moved
to the NIH - anyone know how that might happen by the way?

> An NIH-funded article that is openly accessible avoids costs
> for future NIH researchers building on what has already been
> learned, for example.

What costs are avoided and how?  I've no idea of the mechanism
that you are suggesting for this - can you point us at a study
demonstrating how this increase in productivity comes about and
quantifying the savings?  It's time the OA lobby moved on from
'motherhood and apple pie' statements and demonstrated the clear
benefits of open access.

Ian Russell
ALPSP

[SNIP]