Self-Archiving vs. Open Archive vs. Archives (Fair-Use/Schmair-Use)

The exchange we are having points out the problem of adopting
terms.  What makes sense in Stevan Harnard's community makes no
sense when it is applied to other communities - and thus leads to
non-productive confusion.

When I speak of "archives," for example, it is as an archivist.
For my community, a term like "self-archiving" is an oxymoron -
because an archives by definition is traditionally a third-party
organization mandated to accept and maintain the records of
permanent value of an organization or individual.  If you do it
yourself, it ain't an "archives" (with an "s"). Worse, their is
no assurance that the integrity, authenticity, and reliability of
the original item will be maintained.

Self-archiving and open access are fine for providing immediate
access to one's work.  I have used both.  But no self-archive or
open access system (or institutional repository, for that matter)
yet meets the standards established for an Open Archival
Information System-compliant (yet another "archive"), Trusted
Digital Repository.  What is worse, as I argued in a paper in the
April 15th issue of RLG DigiNews, most of the publishers that
allow one to deposit post-prints in an institutional repository
do not grant authors the rights to given to the repositories the
permissions they need in order to be able to preserve the
deposited articles over time.  The only way one can ensure that
one's deposited information might be available over time is to
use one of the author's addenda (or re-write the publisher
contract).

So there is an immense difference in terms.  Self-archiving, open
access, and institutional repositories denote computer systems
that facilitate near-immediate access to writings.  Trusted
Digital Repositories (aka "archives") are established, funded,
and have the necessary legal, technical, and administrative
capabilities to maintain digital information over time in either
a closed or open system.  The problem with the language is that
the use of the term "archive" in "self-archiving" implies to many
that the TDR requirements are being met - when instead, in
reality, access is guaranteed only as long as the "self-archives"
does not have to make a copy of the original work.  If one wants
an article to be permanently available, one has to secure the
necessary right to do so from the publisher and find a IR that is
committed to becoming a TDR - or rely upon the publisher to take
advantage of initiatives such as PORTICO and LOCKSS to ensure
that access (open or otherwise) will exist over time.

Peter Hirtle