Re: Fair-Use/Schmair-Use...

For what it's worth, in my own scholarly writing and publications of articles and books, I presume that use (with proper attribution) of previously published materials in monographs of less than 70 words, except poetry and music lyrics which always require permission regardless of length of quote, falls under fair use. That seems in keeping with what I've seen generally both in practice and discussion -- and my publisher raises no objection to this practice. I'd be interested if people generally agree with this or is there some other standard that should be applied???

Karl Bridges
University of Vermont

Charles Oppenheim wrote:

"Fair dealing" in the UK ("Fair Use" in the USA) is one of a number of exceptions to copyright that provides a defence against an infringement action. In particular, in this context, it is the defence that you were entitled to make and/or receive a copy of a work for the purposes of non-commercial research or private study without having to ask permission from the copyright owner or pay the owner any fees. So if I were to e mail Stevan to ask him to send me a copy of an article he had written because I wanted it for my own non-commercial research or private study, then if the copyright owner were to sue me for infringement, I would say I was fair dealing, and if the owner were to sue Stevan, he would say he supplied me a copy because I needed it for fair dealing purposes.

With respect, both Stevan and Peter are in part incorrect; Peter, Stevan's use of the term "fair use" is perfectly legitimate as what he is proposing is indeed an example of fair use and there IS a legal basis for what Stevan would be doing; and Stevan, you are wrong to say that fair use is an out of date concept only applicable to print because in fact it applies equally well to electronic copies.

[SH: Agreed. To the extent it is applicable, and needs no
adapatation or update, Fair Use it is, and not "Schmair Use"...]

I agree with Peter that the term "archive" had a quite different meaning well before OA came on the scene, and its use by the OA community does therefore cause confusion.

[SH: I think "archive" too could have been adapted and
updated, rather than requiring "repository" (which also had a quite different meaning before either the online medium or OA came on the scene). But "repository" is now
widely used, and you can't fight with usage...]

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Head
Department of Information Science
Loughborough University