Elsevier to divest MDL

The following press release was distributed to the media today.  Account
Managers will be contacting their customers during this transition.

Daviess Menefee
Library Relations
Elsevier

SANTA CLARA, Calif. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 10,
2007--Symyx Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq:SMMX) today announced it
has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire certain
content and software products of MDL Information Systems for $123
million in cash (subject to a working capital adjustment) from
Elsevier Inc.

Through this acquisition, Symyx will become a leader in R&D
informatics with:

-expanded portfolio of complementary, integrated desktop and
enterprise R&D informatics offerings, including software,
content, systems and services essential to critical R&D
activities in the life sciences, chemicals and energy industries

-expanded market presence consisting of long-standing
relationships with over 1,000 customers and approximately 50,000
users

-expanded, global sales, marketing, distribution and customer
support infrastructure

-deep technical expertise to advance MDL's industry-leading
informatics, database and workflow solutions to meet customer
needs

Transaction Overview

Combining Symyx and MDL offerings has the opportunity to create
the most complete set of solutions available to enhance the
efficiency and productivity of R&D in these industries. Symyx,
based in Santa Clara, CA, provides electronic lab notebook (ELN),
automation and scientific decision-support software, automated
lab systems (workflows) and collaborative research services to
improve R&D productivity. MDL, based in San Ramon, CA, provides
technical R&D software solutions to more than 1,000 life sciences
companies. MDL's integrated informatics and content solutions for
discovery chemistry and biology include its ISIS and Isentris
platforms, and such industry standards as MDL Draw, MDL Direct,
Available Chemicals Directory (ACD) and DiscoveryGate. With this
solution set, Symyx will be able to accelerate its customers'
move toward paperless labs by integrating content, collaborative
desktops, automation and information management for users,
workgroups and the enterprise.

Following the closing of the acquisition, Symyx expects to work
closely with Elsevier, the world's leading publisher of
scientific, technical and medical information, in key areas as
part of a continuing strategic relationship to support existing
and new customers. As part of this ongoing relationship,
customers are expected to benefit from:

--investment and enhancements to MDL offerings

--full, uninterrupted access to key scientific databases and
relevant content currently accessible through MDL offerings
including Elsevier's CrossFire Beilstein, Pharmapendium and
Patent Chemistry Databases)

--significant enhancements in the ability to meld internal and
external literature sources through ELNs as part of a fully
integrated research and development technical documentation
platform

--an extended comprehensive experimental planning, execution, and
analysis platform

ideal strategic complement to our existing businesses, as our
market leadership in Tools and Research Services will now be
joined by expanded offerings in a substantially strengthened
Symyx Software business. These complementary offerings address a
growing market trend, as R&D methods across all industries are
undergoing dramatic change. Scientists are increasingly
recognizing the essential role that informatics, database and
workflow solutions play in more effectively managing research
programs and driving higher productivity. The acquisition of MDL
will position Symyx as a global leader in providing these
solutions, and we believe our value proposition to customers will
be stronger as a result.

"The addition of MDL is also consistent with our ongoing efforts
to drive enhanced shareholder value. On a pro forma basis in
2008, we expect Symyx and MDL combined software and database
operations to reach approximately $100 million in revenues, much
of it recurring, and for this transaction to be accretive. More
broadly, this transaction underscores our commitment to invest in
those parts of the business which we believe will help us to
build predictable, recurring revenue streams over time. With
ongoing investments in sales and marketing and reinvigorated
leadership, Symyx is well-positioned to maximize MDL's value to
our customers and its strategic value to our Company."

The transaction is expected to close during the fourth quarter of
2007 and is subject to customary closing conditions and
documentation, including clearance under applicable antitrust
laws. Thomas Weisel Partners LLC acted as exclusive financial
advisor to Symyx and provided a fairness opinion to the Symyx
Board of Directors.

####