Re: Homer Simpson at the NIH

OA is intended to make material available. The emphasis is on
making important material available to everyone. The true social
harm is in limiting access to this material, and therefore the
only acceptable way to disseminate major scientific information
is by free universal access.  As you agree, no form of OA is a
threat to good journals.

It is highly likely that the third and fourth rate journals will
be forced to find a much more economical manner of publication to
survive. I hope this will be the case--I regard it as one of the
benefits. It would be folly to continue to subsidize them at the
present rate; for the OA movement to be diverted into an attempt
to protect such publications would be a waste of resources all
around.  If they cannot adapt, the material itself can be
published in a more economical manner.  I cannot see how this
would be harmful; there is nothing sacred or indispensable about
the conventional journal form of publication.

I am the member of a editorial board of a relatively minor
journal, but one of value in its niche. It would be better to
publish it in a less formal manner than to continue to publish it
with restricted access, and the publisher knows how I feel.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu