RE: Homer Simpson at the NIH

> Maybe, but don't the overall costs of scholarly communication
> rise anyway each year - that's certainly the feeling most
> librarians have!

I'm not sure that any thoughtful librarians feel that way at all.
The cost of buying access to a particular scholarly journal
certainly increases every year (as does the cost of buying almost
anything).  But if you think in terms of scholarly communication
generally, I think most of us would acknowledge that costs have
fallen dramatically over the past ten years or so.  The advent of
the Web has made it possible for us to provide far more content
at a far lower per-article cost than was ever true before.  We
communicate much more with each other and with publishers, and do
so much more easily and cheaply than we ever did before.  Access
itself is distributed far more efficiently and cheaply than we
could have predicted in the 1980s.

> Alternatively, and less flippantly, it's entirely possible that
> if we can create a new, functioning market then at least we may
> get better value for money.

Sure.  But it's also possible that what we'll end up creating is
a new, dysfunctional market in which we get less value for money.
That's not to say that we shouldn't try -- only that we should be
careful not to confuse fond hopes (or best intentions) with
certain outcomes.

What concerns me more than the possibility of trading an
imperfect market for a worse one is the possibility of creating a
situation in which everyone in the world (including millions of
people who don't want it) is given access to scientific content
for free, but pays for it in loss of research.  This will be the
inevitable result of granting agencies redirecting funds from
research support to publication support. In that case, the
scholarly-information market itself may be perfectly functional,
and its functionality may even be enhanced -- but the world may
be a much worse place.

Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries