RE: Funding threshold (RE: LA Times editorial on accessing NIH research)

The current policy states:

"NIH anticipates that investigators, or their designees, will
submit an electronic version of the author's final manuscript
upon acceptance for publication, resulting from research
supported, in whole or in part, with direct costs from NIH. "

http://publicaccess.nih.gov/publicaccess_manual.htm

So I think your strict reading of the text is correct.

William Walsh
Head, Acquisitions Department
Georgia State University Library
Atlanta, GA 30303