RE: Library subscription rebates for Open Choice content

This is very interesting because when I attended the ACRL SPARC
meeting on open access to hear speakers from PLoS, BioMed
Central, and Hindawi, the Hindawi person suggested that he didn't
know what the role for libraries would be in the new order that's
emerging, but that one role might be to pay the authors' fees for
those authors who don't have a grant.  Of course, I objected to
this idea because the last thing we need as librarians is to be
the gatekeeper for fees.

This idea will simply reward those who have the money to pay the
subscriptions while penalizing further those authors who are not
affiliated with institutions or grants that have the money to pay
authors fees on their behalf.  This will create a bigger rift
between the haves and have-nots.

Aline Soules
Cal State East Bay
aline.soules@csueastbay.edu