Sent: 13 July 2007 20:40
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: OA-journals alive or??

Sally

I've quickly looked at Ulrich's: selecting 'refereed' and
'academic/scholarly' gives us 25,700 titles.

Selecting 'refereed', 'academic/scholarly', and 'ceased' gives us
1,660 titles.

So, it would appear that 6.4% of journals listed by Ulrich's are
not active. These things are all relative, of course, but 7.5%
for the DOAJ does not appear particularly large compared with
6.4%.

Interestingly, Ulrich's underestimates the number of ceased open
access journals - of a total of 1,668 listed only 15 are
'ceased', giving 0.9%. This does show that the 6.4% figure above
is mainly subscription journals.

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe