Re: Correction (RE: Thatcher vs. Harnad)

I appreciate that David is trying to get the facts straight (and as far as I
can see, he does), but I think it could be misleading to say "that a third
of society-published journals surveyed made a loss--they were being
sponsored by their societies."  In some instances it is not accurate to call
this a "loss."  For some societies free access to a journal or other
publications is a benefit of membership.  Thus the journal is more
accurately classed as a service than a formal publication.  The staff
responsible for creating the journal is often charged with marketing it to
non-members, including academic libraries.  This is quite a challenge, as
this market is secondary (the primary market already gets the journal for
free as a benefit of membership).  If I were the publisher of such a
journal, I would take umbrage at being accused of operating the journal at a
loss.

Not everything has to pay for itself, whether it is a subscription product,
an OA journal, or (say) a day-care center.  Self-sustaining enterprises,
whether for-profit or not-for-profit, are great things, but they do not
represent the entire range of a society's organizational needs.  I have
profound skepticism about a large part of the promises of the OA movement,
but I really don't see why anyone would object to having a publication be
"subsidized" in some way (and that includes toll-access socieity
publications, too).  Surely a professional society has the right to spend
its money in any lawful way it deems fit.

Joe Esposito