RE: Correction (RE: Thatcher vs. Harnad)

Open Access journals that don't charge authors (and some that do)
are being paid for somewhere else.  It may be explicit, as with
the Moore Foundation sponsorship for PLoS or that of Ishikawa for
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.  Or it may
be implicit, where the editor's parent organization is covering
the costs of time (salaries and associated costs), office
accommodation and services, and computing resources.  Some
naively (in my view) argue that these costs do not exist since
the people, office and computer were there anyway - but what
about opportunity cost?  They could all be doing other things.

I don't think anyone has compared the fortunes and reputation of
those OA journals that do and don't charge authors.  It would be
interesting to see whether there is, in fact, any difference...

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)