RE: potential positive spiral in transition to open access

Of course Matt is right that there is a failure rate among non-OA
journals as well.

I analysed some data from the Ulrich's periodicals directory at
the beginning of this year.  At that time, 5.54% of the peer
reviewed scholarly journals listed were marked as 'ceased' (the
percentage was lower among nonprofit than commercial publishers)
- I don't know how long the listing for a ceased journal would
remain in the directory, but strongly suspect that far fewer than
5.54% cease each year.  I didn't actually do the split between OA
and non-OA journals (there were 1506 refereed, active OA journals
in the list).  If anyone has current access to Ulrich's, it might
be interesting to see whether there is in fact any difference;
the figure I obtained from Ulrich's may or may not be comparable
with the 9.74% of DOAJ journals that appeared to be defunct in
the study I mentioned.  One key difference, though, is that when
a journal is sold to subscribers, it behoves the publisher to
announce that it has ceased publication;  there is no reason for
this to happen with an OA journal, so effectively defunct
journals may artificially add to the number on the DOAJ or
elsewhere.

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)
South House, The Street
Email:  sally@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk