Re: ranking in Hist of Science etc

I know of no rankings for these fields. Occasionally, attempts
will be made by scholars to conduct surveys that issue in such
rankings in the humanities and social sciences. E.g., one such
study was done for political science several years ago. In a
field like philosophy, one needs to be aware that there will
inevitably be controversy depending on who does the ranking,
given that the field is split between so-called Anglo-American
and Continental factions. There is a well-known ranking system
for graduate programs in philosophy called the Philosophical
Gourmet Report run by Brian Leiter:
http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/default.asp. To say that it
has been controversial is an understatement.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press