RE: Economy of Attention

> Joe gets it right (yet again) with his discussion of attention.

I quite agree -- Joe Esposito's posting in question is -- totally
unsurprisingly -- an excellent one. He's got, to my mind, very
much the right approach.

> An excellent short summary of Georg Frank's Economy of
> Attention is freely available from Science.

The attention economy notion in its current form seems to go back
to Herbert Simon (in 1971), but I like also Michael H.
Goldhaber's piece, "The attention economy and the Net", in
_Firstmonday_ 2.4 (1997)
(http://firstmonday.dk/issues/issue2_4/goldhaber/).

In the same year, Richard Lanham, of course, applied the same
notion to the role of libraries (p.151-167, in _Gateways to
knowledge : the role of academic libraries in teaching, learning,
and research_ / ed. by Lawrence Dowler [MIT Press, 1997]), but
for his more recent thinking, see his _The economics of
{attention} [sic] : style and substance in the age of
information_ (University of Chicago Press, 2006).

- Laval Hunsucker
   Universiteitsbibliotheek
   U. van Amsterdam