Re: Publish-or-Perish Mandates and Self-Archiving Mandates

What surprises me here is that there is only 95% compliance. For
any mandatory ETD program like the one that exists at Penn State
now (http://www.etd.psu.edu), a graduate student cannot graduate
without depositing the thesis in electronic form. One wonders why
there is less than 100% compliance under these circumstances.

This kind of mandatory policy, of course, has teeth that others
do not. What is the penalty for a faculty member who ignores a
university policy to deposit research papers in the university's
IR?

Until "mandatory" means something more than "strongly suggest"
and has serious consequences for noncompliance, I suspect that
the uptake will fall far short of Stevan's ideal Green OA world.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press