RE: Publish-or-Perish Mandates and Self-Archiving Mandates

> But if "compulsion" is indeed the right word for mandating
> self-archiving, I wonder whether Sally was ever curious about
> why publication itself had to be mandated by researchers'
> institutions and funders ("publish or perish"), despite its
> substantial benefits to researchers?

"Compulsion" is probably not the right word for the expectation
that a professor do the job he is being paid for: producing and
disseminating research.  It most certainly is the right word for
a legal requirement that the work be disseminated in one
particular way.

We can argue about whether legally-mandated OA is a good thing or
a bad thing, but there is no intellectually serious way to argue
that legal mandates don't constitute compulsion.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries