[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Esposito
Sent: 15 June 2007 01:33
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Is there a typo in this thread?  As I read it, the assertion is
that commercial publishers have higher costs and lower profits
than NFPs. My experience is precisely the opposite, though I
can't say that I have peeked at the income statements of more
than a small fraction of the 24,000 peer-reviewed journals.
Obviously, a lot of this is accounting methodology, and NFP
financial analysis is rarely on a par with the commercials, but
even so, my limited experience shows higher productivity and
lower costs for the commercials by most management metrics. NFPs
tend to pay people less, but have lower productivity for many
reasons (not least being that they pay people less).

No doubt others have different experience, but I would really
like to see the data before making any generalizations.

Joe Esposito