RE: Fair use/fair dealing - a fantasy?: qusetion

Probably not.  Fair Use, that meets the four tests defined in US
copyright legislation is probably a more generous defense to a
claim of breach of copyright that the defense of Fair Dealing
under UK law.  US law, in other words, provides a more generous
scheme of use not requiring the copyright holder's consent than
many other jurisdictions.  So don't get your hopes up if the
author agreement is specified to be subject to a jurisdiction
other than that of a US state.

Moreover, the fact that an author agreement with a publisher that
is subject to a non-US jurisdiction - say that of the UK - does
not deny the US user Fair Use "rights" in the USA.  Similarly, a
work published by a US publisher, with copyright transferred to
it by the author subject to US/US state law, does not grant a
reader in the UK anything other than the Fair Dealing "rights"
under UK law, which a more restrictive.  That is because Fair Use
(and Fair Dealing) are exceptions to the right of ownership and
control that belong to the copyright holder.

So don't get your hopes up!

John Cox

Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd