Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 8:53 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Peter Brantley's blog

Indeed, and I just contributed two postings to this discussion myself. Peter Brantley and Chuck Hamaker as commentator both argue that the editorial process in book publishing is not well understood by librarians (and, I would add, by administrators and faculty, too) unless any of them have actually served on a press editorial board. I agree, and I made an effort to illuminate this complex process (which has no counterpart in the arena of academic journal publishing, as Paul Courant notes in his comment) in an article in the Journal of Scholarly Publishing titled "The 'Value Added' in Editorial Acquisitions" in which I articulated nine functions that an acquiring editor plays in the system of scholarly communication When librarians aspire to become publishers, they would do well to understand what it is they are getting into and what is required to be successful in this domain. The article is accessible here:

<http://www.utpjournals.com/jsp/jsp302.html>

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

Very interesting blog post by Peter Brantley:

http://blogs.lib.berkeley.edu/shimenawa.php/2007/06/08/on_scholarly_com
munication_and_universit
The topic is the relationship between university presses and
libraries and the challenges of publishing in the years ahead.
Peter is the head of the Digital Library Federation.

Joe Esposito