[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of David Goodman
Sent: 31 May 2007 01:33
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

The economic argument goes as follows:

There is an economic advantage in the simpler and more complete
access to research information from open access. It is not a very
great one--I think that some of the calculations are way off the
mark, but let's say it's 5%. That's about the cost of paying for
open access publishing.

The problem is that the savings comes only when everyone
publishes OA, and all institutions and funders pay for it. So the
early adopters take the risks. The transition to open access has
always been the difficult part. There is temporarily some
additional money needed: for the university researchers to pay
for the publishing, while still needing to maintain a library,
for the journal publishers to risk the loss of subscriptions
while converting to open access--it would appear that neither
side can move first.

There are four ways of making the change.

The most obvious is to reduce the size of the highest cost
segment: the costs of the commercial publishers are at least 50%
higher than the non-profits, and their profit margin is also much
greater.  A determination by the major universities to not pay
for ineffective periodicals, those causing the collapse of the
lowest half of their journals, would do it. But as long as even
100 universities are willing to pay, a journal can continue. This
takes the realization of the faculty that the loss of access will
be only temporary, because with the failure of the inefficient
journals publication will be redirected to the efficient ones.

Equally obvious is removing a certain amount of publication from
the journal system altogether. For the very best researchers,
their is minimal advantage in publishing outside of such
repositories as arXiv--their work will be noticed and read every
bit as well, and their established reputations will substitute
for peer review. I liker this result, but the difficulty here is
that this will differentially affect the best journals, the ones
that publish their work. The only way of avoiding such an effect
is the rapid complete conversion of publication in those areas.

Is there an alternative that will protect the commercial
publishers? Yes, optional open access--the ability of the best
funded laboratories (and the most generous funders) to pay for
individual articles being available open access, with this
stepwise reducing the cost of the journals (The Springer plan
provides in detail how they will calculate the lowering of
subscription costs--other publishers are less specific). As
journals are paid for in advance, there's a two or three year
delay, and it will be interesting to see if there is any effect
on the 2008 Springer prices. If they thought it worth the
investment to use some of their available capital to reduce the
prices further, it could go very fast. Perhaps the alternative in
the paragraphs above may give them some reason.

The fourth is even less attractive: the forced conversion by
funders. With governmental funders, I have always disliked
this--once you rely on mandates, you have to accept whatever the
mandators may choose to do.  The only reason PubMed Central is
even acceptable is because it is being operated by NCBI, one of
the very few truly efficient governmental agencies, and with a
very long record in successful innovation.

As for the political argument, Jan Velterop outlined it very well
in a single sentence: "Of course it is a 'political' statement;
it only applies if one accepts that formally publishing the
results is integral to doing research." (There's an unstated
premise that I think can be assumed on this list: that research
is worth doing.)

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu