Re: Peter Brantley's blog

Indeed, and I just contributed two postings to this discussion
myself. Peter Brantley and Chuck Hamaker as commentator both
argue that the editorial process in book publishing is not well
understood by librarians (and, I would add, by administrators and
faculty, too) unless any of them have actually served on a press
editorial board. I agree, and I made an effort to illuminate this
complex process (which has no counterpart in the arena of
academic journal publishing, as Paul Courant notes in his
comment) in an article in the Journal of Scholarly Publishing
titled "The 'Value Added' in Editorial Acquisitions" in which I
articulated nine functions that an acquiring editor plays in the
system of scholarly communication When librarians aspire to
become publishers, they would do well to understand what it is
they are getting into and what is required to be successful in
this domain. The article is accessible here:

<http://www.utpjournals.com/jsp/jsp302.html>

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press