Re: Publication, Access Provision, and Fair Use

Stevan: Just to clarify, I am NOT "director" of the AAUP (which stands for Association of American University Presses, not American Association...); that would be Peter Givler. I am incoming AAUP President, that's all.

I appreciate the further clarification about the function of your scheme for journal Green OA, Stevan, which is indeed clever.

With regard to books, however, I find this a stunning overgeneralization, at least as far as academic books are concerned: "At the present time, most book authors are not motivated only or mostly by the desire to maximise impact, and hence they are not giveaway authors, whereas all journal article authors are." Where you qualify the claim by restricting it to trade books, I agree. (But even there exceptions exist like Lessig and Benkler, who clearly are happy to trade some possible lost print sales for much wider impact possibilities.) Trade books, however, constitute a very small proportion of the book literature that contributes seriously to academic advancement; if I were to hazard a guess, I would put the figure at less than 10% in terms of numbers of titles. By far academic authors of books are more motivated by concerns about impact than income, partly because the income directly from sales of academic books is so small, but also because the indirect effect on income from wider impact, through career advancement and promotion, vastly exceeds any royalty income for the vast majority of such authors. For more on this, see John Thompson, Books in the Digital Age (Polity Press, 2005).

I therefore do take very seriously the possible threat that ideas of fair use might post to undercutting monograph publishing. You seem to suggest that it will dry up in print anyway. Perhaps so, but then we need to find a way of publishing this literature electronically that makes economic sense. You suggest a Gold OA approach. That's easy to say, but much harder to implement for monograph than for journal publishing because the size of potential fees up front are substantially greater, on the order of $20,000 at a minimum. One reason I encouraged the AAUP to issue its statement on open access was precisely to point out the greater difficulties that might face Gold OA proponents of book than of journal publishing.

Yet, at least for humanities and social sciences, this is an imperative that can't be ignored or evaded. Too much of the most important scholarship in these fields is done in the form of books to be casual about accepting the demise of book publishing in these areas. (Only some subsectors, like Anglo-American analytic philosophy, might survive a retreat to journal publication only.) And the already yawning "digital divide" between the book and journal literature is a matter of increasing concern to all of us in scholarly publishing. It makes no sense, in terms of knowledge dissemination, to have what appears in books so much less widely available than most of the journal literature now is, even if it isn't in Green or Gold OA form. Most monographs these days exist in the form of 400 or 500 copies located in just the top academic libraries. By contrast, an article in a Project Muse journal, with some 1300 institutional subscriptions worldwide (multiplied by the number of users each of those institutions serves), has a vastly greater exposure and use than monographs do.

Happily, university presses are not alone in being worried about this "digital divide." It is a major theme of a new report from the Ithaka Group, titled "University Publishing in the Digital Age," recently released in draft form for comment by the university press community on the eve of our annual meeting in Minneapolis, where it will be a topic of discussion at a plenary session where the report's chief author, Laura Brown (former President of Oxford U.P. in America) and this list's frequent commentator Joe Esposito will be fielding questions from the audience after their initial presentations. We all look forward to a lively discussion and to the official release of this report to a wider audience soon. It is addressed as much to administrators and librarians, by the way, as it is to university press personnel, and the choice of the word "university publishing" in the title is deliberately broad to cover all the publishing that universities do, not just by their presses but also increasingly by librarians, departments, institutes, etc. It is an excellent report well worth reading by everyone concerned about the future of scholarly communication. (End of promo!)

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press