Re: Fair use / fair dealing - a fantasy?

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that contracts trump
law.  There are certain rights you can't sign away by contract -
you can't sell yourself into slavery, for example - but you can
certainly sign away your rights to many things that would
otherwise be lawful if you had not signed a contract. Fair use
claims are plausibly on the list.  Thus, I think that Sandy is
exactly right on this point.

I also note that the fact that something is ludicrous is hardly a
proof that it doesn't exist.  This is especially so with respect
to intellectual property law.

Paul N. Courant
University Librarian and Dean of Libraries
Harold T. Shapiro Collegiate Professor
    of Public Policy
Professor of Economics and of Information
The University of Michigan