Re: Fair use / fair dealing - a fantasy?

Moderator's note:  I suspect that the correspondents on this
topic are speaking about slightly different things and all are to
that extent correct:

1.  If an author transfers all rights under copyright to a
publisher or anyone else, then s/he has also transferred the
rights of 'distribution,' which then belong to the new owner.

2.  The rights of fair use (in the US) remain for all including
the author.

3.  These rights, as we all know, are generally defined in
Section 107 of the US Copyright Act.  And we all know that the
specifics and boundaries of fair use can be particularly in
dispute given new communications technologies.

4.  If the author has signed some other type of agreement, other
than full transfer, then that agreement will govern the rights of
the two parties.  These agreements are changing shape.  (The
LIBLICENSE web site, for example, was the first to mount in 1997
a simple Author License -- to the publisher -- which retains all
copyright rights for the author but gives the publisher the
necessary non-exclusive rights required for publication in a
journal.)

Ann Okerson