Re: Publication, Access Provision, and Fair Use

If you're not interested in "formalism," Stevan, then why insist on calling this practice of a researcher sending a copy of a paper to a colleague "fair use"? That is a LEGAL term, pure and simple, and is codified in statutory law in the U.S.

My point is that you are simply wrong about the legality here; "fair use" does not remain as a residual right after you have signed a contract transferring all rights in an article to a publisher. Read that language, Stevan: it usually says "all rights," meaning that there is nothing left over, and what the author can do is strictly governed by the terms of the contract. But of course only the parties actually signing the agreement are bound by it; everyone else is entitled to claim fair use in gaining access to the article and making use of it.

In the print world, when you received offprints from a publisher, those physical copies became yours to do with as you wanted, just the way that Sec. 109 permits you to do anything with a physical copy of the book once you have bought it; you can give it away, burn it, sell it to someone else, donate it to a library, etc.

When photocopying came to take the place of offprints, the situation became murkier because photocopying theoretically would allow an author to distribute any number of copies; and then when the Internet came along, this problem only became exacerbated.

You are evidently claiming that nothing changed along this spectrum of author's sending copies to colleagues. I am claiming that everything changed. Just as no publisher of a book would agree that any author has a residual fair use to distribute copies of the book electronically or via photocopy to any number of colleagues after it is published, so too a journal publisher is not going to agree that an author of an article has this kind of right you are calling fair use (but may agree to give the author the right, via the contract, to do a certain amount of this kind of sharing, which we all recognize as reasonable). If you think the latter is ok but not the former, then how would you distinguish the two on grounds of the right you are claiming as fair use?

As for your assumption that "manuscripts merely posted online are listed under 'Unpublished Works'," then how do you account for the fact that many thousands of authors who "publish" their books through online services like iUniverse, XLibris, etc. would certainly consider their works to be published and would list them as such on their resumes? Probably the distinction that needs to be made in the future, for academics at least, is a list of "peer-reviewed works" versus a list of "works not peer reviewed." That is the more meaningful distinction in the age we live in today, not "published" versus "unpublished," as Rick's comment suggests.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press

(1) In an academic's CV, under "Published Works," one lists books
and articles. Manuscripts merely posted online are listed under
"Unpublished Works."

(2) If the reprint of a published work is mailed or emailed to a
colleague, or posted online, that is not another published work,
nor a republished work: It is access provision, to a published
work.

(3) Authors sending individual reprints and eprints of their own
published work to individual requesters, for research use, is
Fair Use, uncontested, and incontestable.

Some comments: