Publication, Access Provision, and Fair Use

(1) In an academic's CV, under "Published Works," one lists books
and articles. Manuscripts merely posted online are listed under
"Unpublished Works."

(2) If the reprint of a published work is mailed or emailed to a
colleague, or posted online, that is not another published work,
nor a republished work: It is access provision, to a published
work.

(3) Authors sending individual reprints and eprints of their own
published work to individual requesters, for research use, is
Fair Use, uncontested, and incontestable.

Some comments:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 sgt3@psu.edu wrote:

>>SH: OA itself is a form of access-provision, not a form of
>>publication. Gold OA is a form of publication.
>
> This is a distinction without a practical difference, Stevan,
> and U.S. copyright law would not differentiate between the two;
> both Green OA and Gold OA would be technically defined as
> "publication" under the law.
>
> I misspoke: as my colleague Ricky Huard on the AAUP Copyright
> Committee reminds me:
>
> My guess is that he's making a distinction based on the
> definition of "publication" in the 1976 Copyright Act: "the
> distribution of copies or phonorecords of a work to the public
> by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or
> lending. . . . A public performance or display of a work does
> not itself constitute publication." If "access" equals
> "display" (as I suspect he may be thinking), he has a point,
> albeit a rather casuistic one: He's not copying and
> distributing--just inviting 300 million of his closest friends
> to see the display.

Both posting on the Web and giving away reprints or eprints of
one's own published work are access-provision not publication.
Only giving away reprints/eprints (for research purposes) is Fair
Use.

> Most journal contracts I am familiar with specify the transfer
> of "all rights." Such a transfer means what it says, quite
> literally, and it is entirely unnecessary therefore to include
> any specific waiver of fair use rights. The very act of
> transferring all rights effectively accomplishes that, and
> nothing more needs to be added.

I retain the uncontested and incontestable right to give away
single reprints or eprints of my published work to individual
requesters for research purposes.

> What you surely have in mind, Stevan, is the previous practice
> in the print world of publishers providing offprints of
> articles to their authors on publication, obviously intending
> for authors to make use of those offprints by sharing them with
> colleagues. Once photocopying took over, some publishers ceased
> the practice of providing offprints as a needless extra expense
> and, at least tacitly, allowed the practice to continue of
> authors making (photo)copies of their articles for this same
> purpose.

For research purposes. That's Fair Use. Uncontested and
incontestable.

> Now Stevan just assumes that the same practice naturally
> continues into the purely digital age, and I won't deny that
> many, probably even all, publishers accept this kind of copying
> as legitimate and don't intend to try preventing it.

So what is it that we are arguing about? I keep saying I am not
interested in formalism here but in actual practice, uncontested
and incontestable.

> It is still not true, however, that the author retains any fair
> use right once an "all rights" transfer is effected. No such
> right exists, and only what the contract allows, or the
> publisher otherwise permits, makes the practice legitimate.
> That is the point Rick and I are trying to make, I believe.

I retain the right to give single reprints or eprints to
requesters for research purposes. That's the uncontested and
incontestable practice at issue here.

Stevan Harnad