Re: Definition of Open Access

OA itself is a form of access-provision, not a form of publication. Gold OA is a form of publication.
This is a distinction without a practical difference, Stevan, and U.S. copyright law would not differentiate between the two; both Green OA and Gold OA would be technically defined as "publication" under the law.

Rick is again quite right concerning those copyright transfer agreements that explicitly state "I waive my author Fair Use Right to send individual copies to researchers requesting my work." But as far as I know, no publisher has ever drafted, and no author has ever signed, such an absurd contract. (So, again, talking about it is merely formalism, of no practical import for the real, practical matter at hand: researchers providing free online access to their refereed research findings for other researchers who want to use them.)
Most journal contracts I am familiar with specify the transfer of "all rights." Such a transfer means what it says, quite literally, and it is entirely unnecessary therefore to include any specific waiver of fair use rights. The very act of transferring all rights effectively accomplishes that, and nothing more needs to be added.

What you surely have in mind, Stevan, is the previous practice in the print world of publishers providing offprints of articles to their authors on publication, obviously intending for authors to make use of those offprints by sharing them with colleagues. Once photocopying took over, some publishers ceased the practice of providing offprints as a needless extra expense and, at least tacitly, allowed the practice to continue of authors making (photo)copies of their articles for this same purpose. Now Stevan just assumes that the same practice naturally continues into the purely digital age, and I won't deny that many, probably even all, publishers accept this kind of copying as legitimate and don't intend to try preventing it. It is still not true, however, that the author retains any fair use right once an "all rights" transfer is effected. No such right exists, and only what the contract allows, or the publisher otherwise permits, makes the practice legitimate. That is the point Rick and I are trying to make, I believe.

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
Director, Penn State Press