Announcement: ALCTS Discussion Group, Saturday, June 23: EContent Pricing 2.0

ALCTS Discussion Group, Saturday, June 23:  EContent Pricing 2.0

If you're attending the ALA Annual Conference in Washington, DC,
and you are interested in the issues surrounding pricing of
electronic content, please join our discussion group.  Now that
we have been experimenting with new kinds of pricing models for
at least a decade, what have we learned?  What do publishers
consider in constructing pricing models and setting prices? What
changes have been made or are still needed?  Are there downsides
to emerging pricing models, like tier based pricing? Could value
based pricing offer a feasible alternative? What are the points
of disagreement between librarians and publishers, and where
might we go from here?

Our panelists and their topics of discussion are:

* Ivy Anderson, Director of Collections, California Digital
Library, will discuss value-based pricing.  She is one of the
authors of a white paper on this subject.

* Karla Hahn, Director, Office of Scholarly Communication, ARL,
will explore what happens to prices when a tier-based pricing
model is introduced and considers potential pitfalls for the
library market.

* Judy Holoviak, Deputy Executive Director and Director,
Publications, American Geophysical Union, will describe the
evolution of AGU's pricing and licensing and why tier-based
pricing is useful.

* Geoff Worton, Global Head, Site License Business Unit, Nature
Publishing Group, will discuss pricing and licensing from a
commercial publishing perspective, while addressing issues NPG
has faced.

This meeting of the ALCTS SS Journal Costs in Academic Libraries
Discussion Group takes place Saturday, June 23rd, from 4-6 pm in the
Washington Convention Center, room 156.  Please come to learn and
discuss.

Citations to the papers referenced follow:

*The Promise of Value-based Journal Prices and Negotations, January 2007
(http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/cdc/valuebasedprices.pdf)

*Tiered Pricing: Implications for Library Collections, portal:
Libraries and the Academy - Volume 5, Number 2, April 2005, pp.
151-163

For more information, please contact:

Clint Chamberlain
Vice-Chair
ALCTS SS Journal Costs in Academic Libraries Discussion Group
Assistant Professor, E-Access/Serials Librarian
Trinity University, Elizabeth Huth Coates Library
One Trinity Place
San Antonio, Texas  78212-7200
Office: (210) 999-7613  Fax: (210) 999-8182
Clinton.Chamberlain@trinity.edu