RE: Science Commons, SPARC Announce New Tools for

One might get the impression from Sandy's entry that his Press'
stable of journals was firmly in the black, serving not only the
needs of scholars in such burgeoning fields as Shaw Studies and
Nietzsche Studies, but providing a needed revenue stream for the
University.

Then, without warning, this excellent business opportunity is put
in jeopardy by librarian ideologues needlessly prodding the
always tractable faculty authors to seek the right to post their
work in institutional repositories.  Now, the once profitable
undertakings of the Press are being undermined as hundreds of
staff hours are redirected to address the ceaseless demands of
misguided rhetoriticians, bibliophiles, and nihilists waving
addenda under the noses of editors and rights managers.  Oh my,
the collateral damage we have wrought!

____________________________________
Mark Sandler
Director, Center for Library Initiatives
Committee on Institutional Cooperation
1819 South Neil, Suite D
Champaign, IL 61820-7271
Phone: 734 764-1444   Fax: 734 764-6849

The Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) is a consortium
of 12 world-class research universities, advancing their missions
by sharing expertise, leveraging campus resources and
collaborating on innovative programs.