RE: COUNTER posting from Peter Shepherd

As a member of the Counter Executive Committee from its
beginnings, I do not share Peter's confidence in the current
procedures, nor do I agree with his interpretation of Phil
Davis's results.

Phil showed that the variation in counts between publishers was
greater than could be explained by html/ PDF variation. While the
greater uniformity in interfaces has reduced the html/PDF
variation between different publishers, it does not affect any
other factors. Phil's study shows a nine-fold variation; the
maximum effect of html/PDF is two-fold, thus leaving the majority
of the difference unaccounted for.

Peter says , correctly, that the results between different
publishers are more comparable than prior to Counter--and indeed
Counter did play a role in getting one particularly important
non-profit publisher to change its interface to diminish the
html/pdf variation. That does not mean that the results are even
approximately comparable overall. There is not the least data to
show they are, and there is Phil's data to suggest that they are
not.

It has been decided to defer the consideration of these problems
until the first round of audits has been completed, which is
probably a realistic decision. But the audits measure only the
accuracy of reporting from a known test script at a site known to
the publisher. What the will evaluate is the accuracy of this
report. They will not evaluate the accuracy of reporting under
library conditions in general, and certainly not from any
particular library. They will not audit comparability between
publishers, nor will the determine whether there is any
consistency between results being presently reported and those in
the past.

Were I still collecting, I would continue to rely primarily on
the one reliable measure we have, even though it does not measure
all aspects of use--local citations.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu