RE: COUNTER posting from Peter Shepherd

I disagree with Peter's conclusion that:" There are many reasons
why PDF/html ratios may vary from publisher to publisher (archive formats;
different practices in different subject fields,
to name but two) and not too much should be read into them."

My experience is that faculty and researchers citing articles
generally need pdf. I don't believe html is a substitute when it
comes time to cite an article in formal publication. This
experience suggests to me we should anticipate differences in
usage patterns are meaningful.

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223