apologies for a confusion

Subscribers, please accept my apologies for a mistake that was made by at least one reader looking at Atanu Garai's message of Tuesday evening. In it, Garai said:

"Researchers in the UK, for example, produce about 75,000 papers a=20
year, which means they would have to pay about =A3100m in author=20
fees if all journals were open access. This sum is far higher=20
than the =A390m they currently pay in library subscriptions. (The=20
open-access debate.
I have left in the ugly marks, because they gave rise to the error. Garai said that 75K papers would require authors to pay about 100M in UK pounds, more than the 90M in UK pounds they currently pay in library subscriptions. The "=A3" character represents the British pound sign. The listserving software of this world (we use listproc) has lagged behind the power of mailers, and so whenever readers send mail with various diacritical marks, "smart quotes", and the like, we risk getting those =20 signs and other gibberish. The moderator tries to clean them out, and then cleans them out again when they make it the archive, but usually they do not obstruct understanding; in this case I'm sorry to say they did.

The Moderator