RE: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: Critique of PRC Study

> The money that is paid for subscriptions now is coming from the
> overhead that the universities are imposing on the research
> grants. The university takes, say, 40%, of which 1% goes to the
> library subscription budget.

I can't speak for others, but that's certainly not the case at my
university.  Our materials budget is allocated to the library
from state-appropriated funds based on a legislated formula; it
does not come from grant overhead.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition