RE: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: Critique of PRC Study

While I can agree with much of what Rick Anderson says here, his
last sentence is puzzling. As one of the serious problems of Gold
OA he quotes "the significant amount of money that a widespread
Gold OA solution would redirect from needed research."

How so? Why would publishing become more expensive when the way
to sustain it changes? If one thinks that Gold OA would redirect
a significant amount of money away from needed research, what
about subscriptions? Don't subscriptions do the same? Doesn't any
money that sustains journals?

Isn't the logical conclusion then that sustaining formal
publishing is, by definition, because it always involves
resources, redirecting those resources away from research? Is
Rick arguing that publishing can't be seen as integral to
research and that therefore any funds used to sustain publishing
come at the expense of research?

Jan Velterop