RE: Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: Critique of PRC Study

Stevan,

Needless to say that I disagree that the methodology deployed by
Beckett and Inger is flawed - quite the opposite.  It is rigorous
with the limits set out and I would encourage interested parties
to actually read it (or the recently produced summary available
from http://www.publishingresearch.net/) themselves and form
their own opinion.

You have publicly acknowledged subscription cancellation is a
probable outcome of self-archiving so why keep arguing?  You and
I can keep rehearsing the same arguments, but I am not sure it
takes us any further forward.

It may be that producer pays publishing is a viable option in
some fields now, and that it may be for others in the future.
In disciplines where research is a big budget activity like high
energy physics or bio-medicine it could indeed be true that
dissemination may cost as little as 1-2% of [those very large]
research budgets.  In maths, ecology, history etc, etc, etc the
proportion of the current research funding needed to cover
dissemination costs will be much greater - possibly greater than
100% (on the fairly safe assumption that the absolute cost of
dissemination is roughly equivalent across disciplines).  I
therefore think it unlikely that producer pays publishing will be
viable across all fields.

So what then?  (this is a rhetorical question)

If producer pays publishing is the end game, and self archiving a
means to that end (as your post would suggest), then why not
spend your time arguing for money to clearly and unambiguously
made available for producer pays publishing rather than frittered
away on a system of institutional repositories which are probably
not an efficient way of organizing and, by your own argument,
certainly will have no long-term value (given that they won't be
needed in a fully producer pays world).

Ian Russell
ALPSP