From: "JOHANNES VELTEROP" <velteropvonleyden@btinternet.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:46 PM
Subject: Re: Russia and Turkey Register Green OA Self-Archiving mandates

In scholarly, peer-reviewed journal publishing, embargoes and copyright restrictions have only one function: to ensure that journals can be sustained financially by selling subscriptions. Take embargoes and copyright restrictions away, and journals cannot be reliably and sufficiently sustained, because subscriptions are likely to vanish.

If one wants to get away from embargoes and copyright restrictions there are basically two scenarios:

1) Disregard formal peer-reviewed journals and publish informally
on the web.
2) Find a way to sustain formal peer-reviewed journals in a less
roundabout way than subscriptions, by means that do not require
embargoes or copyright restrictions.

The possibility of scenario 2 is increasingly being offered now (albeit not yet by all publishers or journals): sustaining journals via a per-article charges for the service of formal, peer-reviewed publication, also known as 'open access publishing'.

Jan Velterop