From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph J. Esposito
Sent: 10 May 2007 22:39
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: News Release: Project Transfer

The proposed Code of Practice appears to be a good idea.  It may
have some unintended consequences, however, which participants in
scholarly communications may wish to consider.

The Code is for "Journals Transferring Between Publishers."  You
may well ask why journals transfer.  There are many reasons, but
to name just a few: money, access to technology, new managment,
and marketing.  While there are exceptions, transfers typically
occur from small publishers to larger ones (which may themselves
be not-for-profit) and often from not-for-profit publishers to
commercial organizations.

Members of this list may wish to confirm or challenge my
hypothesis that journals that transfer are more likely to have
above-average price increases than journals that do not transfer.

Thus the Code, which facilitates transfer, is likely to result in
a smooth transfer AND higher prices.  Is the Code a good idea?
Yes.  Are higher prices a good idea?  It depends on whether you
are buying or selling.

Joe Esposito