RE: Russia and Turkey Register Green OA Self-Archiving Mandates in= ROARMAP

But the problem here, Bulent, is there is now a body of evidence*
to suggest that if the final, peer-reviewed publisher version of
the article is available for free on institutional or subject
repositories subscriptions will decline and the journals will go
out of business.  This is an intuitive result: what responsible
librarian would spend precious money on something that is freely=
available?

You may not be bothered that journals go out of business.  Fair
enough but then who administers and manages peer review, and
corrects the references, and does the reference linking, and the
other things that authors and readers expect and value?

Rick Anderson has written an interesting article on the subject=20
available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1087/174148507X183542

* for example ALPSP Survey of Librarians on Factors in Journal
Cancellation (Mark Ware, 2006) and 'Self-archiving and
subscriptions: Co-existence or competition' (Chris Beckett and
Simon Inger, 2006)

Ian Russell
Chief Executive, ALPSP

---2071850956-1378940028-1178831591=:22049--