Re: Yes, it's time (RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?)

Actually, there are signs of the consumer market moving that way, as this article about Premiere shows:

<http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/premiere-mag-dies-but-lives-online/>

Note that this is not the only title in this stable going online.

David Groenewegen
ARROW Project Manager
Monash University Library
Monash University
Victoria 3800 AUSTRALIA
David.Groenewegen@lib.monash.edu.au

adam hodgkin wrote:

A rather delayed response to this thread, which I found very
interesting. It has been leading me to puzzle out why the consumer
magazine market has not gone in the same direction (at least it has not
gone there yet)

http://exacteditions.blogspot.com/2007/04/journals-and-consumer-magazines.html

I have also been wondering why a similar aggregation solution for consumer magazines, seems so unattractive. Can one imagine a Science Direct for all the major consumer magazines? It would be a rather monstrous compilation, but does that not tell us something about how much the big research libraries really wanted/needed solutions like Science Direct? Only with big and efficient aggregators such as Elsevier could the STM library world have moved so quickly towards an electronic solution for their patrons. Libraries are of course vastly more important to the STM market than they are to the consumer magazine publishers.

However, it seems likely that there is some role for comprehensive
aggregation services for digital books and digital magazines. Adam