Re: DRM at SAE Publication Board meeting

It's great that SAE appears to be listening to the concerns of faculty and librarians, but I don't think we're out of the woods just yet... The revised license I've seen still says that we cannot "transmit electronically, via e-mail or any other file transfer protocols, any portion of the Licensed Products." They may "technically" remove the DRM restriction, but doesn't this wording really retain the same *legal* prohibition on the practice of "scholarly sharing," i.e. emailing tech reports to colleagues in a work group? The revised license also retains the recent prohibition on walk-in users, revoking a right commonly granted to land-grant universities in earlier iterations of the license. Another big concern is that the "pay $X per download" pricing model remains -- in the absence of usage statistics from SAE, it's much too easy to run out of downloads in the middle of a budget year. Is no one else pushing back on this stuff? Sounds like this one needs a little more time in the oven. Jim Stemper Electronic Resources Librarian University of Minnesota-Twin Cities At 11:01 PM 4/25/2007 From: Ann Okerson To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu Subject: DRM at SAE Publication Board meeting Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:31:33 The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers International) access and licensing arrangements have been discussed on several lists and some of you have seen those messages, along with the voluble protests from the library community. Our Engineering Librarian forwarded me today the message below, which signals that librarians can have an impact on problematic publisher licenses; And that publishers do listen. Ann Okerson [SNIP]