RE: Clarification on SERU proposal

At Yale, we've had a number of (not infrequent) situations where, by virtue of "bad people" finding ways into Yale accounts or proxy servers, we will get amounts of massive systematic downloads from given publisher sites or journals at various times. When it happens, publishers contact us and together we've always taken appropriate action to stop the infringing behaviour -- which is generally not from our campus, but presents as if it is. I wish this happened less frequently than it does... it's a real concern.

(One could argue that if all information were totally free, none of this would matter; but at the least, the incidents can helpfully point out vulnerabilities that need to be stopped in case these downloaders go after private information. Or swamp a system... But I digress!)

Anyhow, these systematic downloading situations haven't led any of the (growing number of) publishers to take us to court. We've so been successful in working together to solve the problem. It is, however, important for librarians and publishers to agree to work together in this way, whether through a contract, or "best practices," or whatever it takes, and to specify how this will be done and what happens if the situation can't be remedied. Ann Okerson