Re: Clarification on SERU proposal

Perhaps it can't be said frequently enough that SERU is not
intended to banish licenses or license negotiations. We do
believe that both libraries and publishers suffer if we believe
that we must have a uniquely negotiated license for EVERY
e-resource transaction, no matter how small or how willing the
parties are to rely on trust and existing law so they can invest
their resources in other activities.

I think Sally's question is interesting, but agree with Ivy that
it isn't really relevant to SERU beyond perhaps informing the
decision every publisher (and library) makes in deciding whether
they feel a license is necessary for any particular transaction.
We say in our background documents and on our web site in several
places that we believe many publishers and libraries will
continue to want to negotiate licenses for many of their
e-resource purchases. We're only trying to address the instances
where it isn't.

We do know that OECD is far from alone in working without
licenses even lacking a set of common understandings. We hope
that SERU can enhance these transactions and increase their
appeal for like-minded parties to other transactions.

Karla Hahn, Director
Office of Scholarly Communications
Association of Research Libraries
Washington, D.C. 20036