DRM at SAE Publication Board meeting

Liblicense-l readers: The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers International) access and licensing arrangements have been discussed on several lists and some of you have seen those messages, along with the voluble protests from the library community. Our Engineering Librarian forwarded me today the message below, which signals that librarians can have an impact on problematic publisher licenses. And that publishers do listen! Ann Okerson

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Cernansky [mailto:cernansk@coe.drexel.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:30 PM
Subject: RE: DRM at SAE Publication Board meeting

Friends, A press release that resulted from the SAE International Publications Board meeting last Wednesday is pasted in below. Many of you will receive this directly from SAE, but I wanted to make sure that everyone involved got the good news too. Its clear that SAE listened (and more importantly, heard) and is making a bold and decisive move to deal with the issue.

Regards,
Nick

***

SAE Publications Board to Review Digital Rights Management Controls for Students, Faculty

DETROIT, April 19, 2007 - SAE International's Publications Board temporarily will suspend full activation of Digital Rights Management (DRM) controls as applied on the Society's Digital Library of technical papers for licensees at colleges, universities and other academic institutions.

Through 2007, DRM controls will be relaxed to allow students and faculty more freedom in printing and sharing SAE technical papers. "SAE International will convene a special taskforce -- composed of university professors, staff publishing professionals, Publications Board members and librarians -- to make recommendations regarding DRM policies," John Kinstler, out-going chair of the SAE Publications Board, said.

"SAE's highest interest is in serving the technical information needs of all mobility professionals," said Michael Madley, SAE's new chair of the Publications Board. "We look forward to working in partnership with the academic community to ensure an efficient and economical flow of information while managing intellectual property rights."

-SAE-