RE: Clarification on SERU proposal

Sally, Kate, and others -

As a member of the group that drafted the SERU document, I'd like
to add my perspective on this thread.  SERU takes its inspiration
in part from exactly this insight - that license disputes rarely,
if ever, result in a legal proceeding.

The real difference between SERU and the approach taken by the
University of Chicago is between a unilateral and a
community-based approach.  SERU attempts to set forth a community
standard ('standard' in the generic sense of a body of
commonly-accepted practice) that has been developed and can be
endorsed by both libraries and information providers. We agree
with the Chicago folks that, at least in some cases, our industry
may be mature enough to risk transactions based on "common sense
and respect for the various stakeholders in the scholarly
communication process -- good faith."  SERU aims to test that
hypothesis.  It is unlikely that unilateral terms can engender
that level of trust.  A community standard (or 'shared
understanding' as we have expressed it), developed with input
from both libraries and publishers, just might.

Ivy Anderson
Director of Collections
California Digital Library
University of California, Office of the President
ivy.anderson@ucop.edu
http://www.cdlib.org