Sent: 17 April 2007 23:19
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: The Value of OA (resend)

I agree with much of this analysis. However no publisher adds
costs for the sake of it. They want to get the best editors and
authors and want to provide the service they want. It is a
competitive situation. It is not a competitive situation for
libraries (in the same way) but libraries too want to provide the
best service they can for the users.

The available money is not frozen. OA advocates have however
managed to convince university authorities, people in government
and funding bodies that OA is intrinsically much cheaper to run.
It would be a huge advantage for the academic community (would it
not?) if the ARL (for example) campaigned for more money for
materials to match increased and increased research funding
worldwide instead of sitting on its hands as it does now.

Anthony