Re: Broker urges Reed Elsevier to gear itself up

Chuck,

Here's my interpretation of the analyst's comment:  Private
equity companies see an opportunity to further leverage Reed
Elsevier.  PE companies target acquisitions where they can add
more debt and use the cash generated from the recapitalizatio to
fatten the returns to their investment fund.  Note, for example,
that Springer has been recapitalized 3 times since they were
acquired by Candover and Cinven.  These refinancings led to a
160% return for Candover and its fund in a period of about 3
years.

Bottom line, in the current environment with so much money in the
hands of PE firms, companies are at risk of being acquired if
they don't load up their balance sheets with debt.  There is a
lot more to the complete story of how to increase RE's share
price and market capitalization, but I read the analyst's comment
as a warning that RE should "gear up" its balance sheet in order
to fend off PE bids.

Regards,

Janice McCallum
President